Kit for A-Series Midgets and Sprites to replace the 4 speed transmission with a Suzuki R7ME 5 speed unit.
- By using the original mounting points there is no need to remove cross members here!
- The gearbox is significantly more robust than the original BMC 4 speed, with synchromesh on all forward gears and a 0.86:1 overdrive 5th.
- The gearstick is in the stock location with a bespoke shifting mechanism offering tight and precise selection.
- The kit also upgrades the flywheel to a lightweight billet steel design compatible with a modern 190mm clutch with a 150Nm torque capacity. The reduced inertia allows the engine to rev more freely but care has been taken to ensure there is no compromise on idle quality.
- The carbon release bearing is replaced with a reliable roller bearing and the temperamental hydraulics make way for a bolt-on cable swap, for both early and late pedal boxes. Clutch operation is smooth with a light pedal and progressive biting point.
- A new aluminium backplate is included to mount the Suzuki gearbox to the 1275 engine. Starting is improved also, with a 1.4kW pre-engaged starter motor. This means that while the Suzuki gearbox is marginally heavier than the 4 speed, the car ends up lighter.
- Aluminium back plate
- Rear gearbox mounting bracket and AV mounts
- Gear change mechanism
- Billet flywheel (4.5kg)*
- High torque starter motor (1.4kW)
- 190mm clutch kit (150Nm torque capacity)
- Clutch cable conversion kit (early and late pedal boxes)
- Fastener kit
Additional parts required:
- Suzuki Jimny R7ME gearbox
- Electric speedometer and sensor
* To suit 6 bolt 1275cc Midget crankshaft. For 948, 1098cc and Marina applications please contact us.
Different propshaft lengths to suit other applications can be supplied on request
A 50mm hole has to be drilled in the transmission tunnel to access the oil fill plug